About Me

My photo
Hey! My name's Lauren, I'm city-born country girl who likes old-fashioned manners, old-fashioned clothing, old-fashioned cars, bright colors and patterns (especially yellow), and hanging out with friends who can make me laugh till I cry. If you want to find out more, you're gonna have to read my blog!

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Outfit of The Day: 8/24/11 & 8/25/11


8/24/11 Today's outfit: 70's-style vintage button-up, vintage brown vest, long blue neck-tie, cut-off shorts, brown knee-highs. White sneakers! Hair: Messy ponytail.

Actually, my hair was only messy because at the time of picture-taking, I'd just taken a hardcore nap.


I really like the 70's schoolgirl vibe I had going there.



I hadn't worn cut-offs in forever -- it felt amazing. Like, oh hey, I can relax amazing.


My favorite part of this outfit is easily the vintage button-up. I got this as a hand-me-down from one of my mom's friends, and since then it's been languishing in the back of my closet because I couldn't figure out how to wear it. And then BAM! Vest and tie. And it's perfect. The colors seem to clash, match, and blind on-lookers all at the same time. It maketh meh happeh.


I love my almost-oxfords. I don't actually have any oxfords, so these look close enough that I can pretend they are. These "knee-highs" (I guess they're more like "calf-highs") are actually my dad's. He never wears them -- they just sit in our family sock-basket. And that's wear I found them, sad and crumpled into those little sock-balls, just waiting for some girl with a matching vest to come put them on and show them off. So, out of the kind and charitable nature of my heart, I borrowed them, and put them on. They looked awesome!


C'mere, let me tell you a secret. This is not really a tie!!! It's actually the sash-thing that ties my bathrobe up. I have a tie of the same color, but I couldn't find it, so I just grabbed this. But Ssh! don't tell anyone.


I got this vest at Goodwill. I believe it was for a Halloween costume of some sort, but it doesn't really matter. What matters is, this vest is right up there with my chocolate-brown skirt in terms of how essential it is to my closet. If an outfit looks unfinished and needs a layer, I will 9 times out of 10 grab this. The other time, I'll grab my short-sleeved denim hoodie, which you haven't seen yet. But this vest is easy, cute, and oh-so-wonderfully old-fashioned. It's fabulous!


Earlier in the day, I was of course barefoot (I would always go barefoot if that were an option), so Anna almost accidentally took this awesome picture of my feet. I just love the slight asymmetrical-ness of it.


One of my new favorite pictures of myself. I love it when my picture-smiles don't look fake. :)




8/25/11 Today's outfit: Light pink tee, short grey dress, zebra-print sash, white leggings. Barefoot! Hair: down and slightly frizzy. :/


So today was not the greatest day for picture-taking. It was raining this morning, so it was humid and the camera lens kept fogging up. But the sun suddenly (and terribly disappointingly) came out right behind our neighbor's house, so the sun was in the camera's eyes, figuratively speaking, so we had to switch spots. The sun was in my eyes, the shadows were a bit wonky, and we were in absolute mourning because the rain was gone. It hasn't rained for so long here... :(


Anyway, I do love this outfit to pieces. I've worn a similar one before (with a different shirt and belt) to rehearsal before performing IOBE at the Artisan, but today just felt like a wear-what-you-already-love kinda day, not an experiment-with-crazy-vintage-fashions kinda day. The outfit is almost entirely hand-me-down (am I the only person in the world who absolutely adores getting hand-me-downs? I mean, come on people -- it's free clothes!). The pink tee I got from a friends older sister, the dress from a friend of my mom's. The leggings are my sister's. The belt's mine, though. I bought it.


There's something very unique about white-leggings. The white-ness suggests spring, but the, erm, legging-ness suggests autumn or winter. It is currently neither. Am I out of touch with the weather lately? You bet your zebra-striped belt I am!


Speaking of which, I love zebra-prints. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em. They're like yellow, only in animal form. If yellow was an animal, it would be a zebra.

Um.

Isn't this one perfectly splendid? Maybe some day I'll work up the nerve to wear it on my head, like a turban. That would be Ah Maze Ing.



Another problem with pictures today: Humidity hates my hair. I mean, it doesn't just get frizzy. It sticks up in weird places, gets curly around my ears (behind them as well) gets stiff (stiff?! I know, right?), hangs in my face like a freaking pair of curtains, and is completely and utterly unmanageable. I have no control. French braids won't work. Curling won't work. Straightening (which I actually considered doing, and I never straighten my hair) won't work. Buns won't work. Even a stinkin' ponytail won't work, because my bangs refuse to move! And hats just make my hair static, which is even worse.

So yeah, I have no options. I just let it hang. I guess it doesn't look too bad, it's just annoying that I can't see out of my left eye. And that no amount of hair-flipping will get these bangs off my face.




Here's the full outfit. We had to move, because the light was in my eyes, and I just couldn't open them all the way.

On a side note, how do you like our garage door? How about our car tire?



Trying to part the curtains. :)


School's been going pretty well so far. The past few days have been mainly comprised of reviewing, reading, reviewing, and reading. The reviewing is because I have to start taking tests today, and I kinda don't want to fail. The reading is because I like reading. Also, mom wants me to read "Mrs Frisby and The Rats of NIMH", so...

I hope everyone else is enjoying this dreadfully slow transition to fall. It's still summer outside, but it's almost September -- hopefully we'll start seeing rain, chilly weather, and colorful leaves pretty soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment