About Me

My photo
Hey! My name's Lauren, I'm city-born country girl who likes old-fashioned manners, old-fashioned clothing, old-fashioned cars, bright colors and patterns (especially yellow), and hanging out with friends who can make me laugh till I cry. If you want to find out more, you're gonna have to read my blog!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Outfit of The Day: 8/23/11


Today's outfit: Light blue polo, chocolate-brown midi skirt, patterned scarf (belt), deep purple vintage-style hat. Barefoot! Hair: down, straight, and natural.


So I'm thinking I need to make Anna work on her camera angles. She was laughing at me as we were taking these photos because I always choose to stand in the same spot, but she always uses the same angles, so the pictures are kinda boring.


This skirt makes me happy. It's long, knee-length, and flowy, and it floats when I twirl or walk down the stairs. I got it last year at Goodwill when I first started working up the courage to wear skirts rather than skinny jeans, and it's become one of my favorite items in my closet. It matches every top I own, is very vintage, and makes me feel like a princess. On top of that, it's the color of chocolate. (Which, granted, makes me rather hungry sometimes, but who doesn't like to be a little hungry for chocolate occasionally?)



Hand-me-down belt. It came with a skirt (which I love) but I don't actually wear them together. I wore them as a matching set once, as an early experiment with mixing patterns that went pretty well (red-striped button-up, patterned skirt, matching patterned belt tied in a preppy little bow around my ponytail), but for the most part I prefer to keep them seperate. Maybe I'll wear the skirt to youth group tomorrow.

Maybe I'll just wear cut-offs and a tee. I haven't worn cut-offs in about two months.



And now we come to my favorite part of today's outfit -- this fabulous hat I picked up at Plato's Closet a few weeks ago.

Last night as I was putting together today's outfit, I felt rather disappointed with it. I had the polo, the skirt, the belt, and it was cute, but it just seemed rather sad. You've seen sad outfits before -- those boring, monochromatic ones people wear when they're feeling tired of life, want to be invisible, and slouch? (Not the monochromatic isn't cool -- it can be a really fun, unique, edgy style, when the person wearing it has a little spunk in their step, rather than some slouch in their shoulders.) Well, that's what this outfit felt like. Tired, sad, boring. So I grabbed this hat and plunked it down on top of the old retired lamp-stand that I use to hang up my outfits, and voila! the outfit changed. It stood up a little straighter, smiled a little brighter, and it's cheeks glowed.

And that's how I feel in this outfit: spunky, cheerful, blushingly beautiful. I feel like Caroline Dester from "Enchanted April".

Which is not a bad thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment